I met Michael Chabon to Festivaletteratura Mantova Saturday September 8, 2001, at 18:45, at the Diocesan Museum. It was presented by Beppe Severgnini, who joked on the fact that they had put beside - him low, gray and 'wrong' - this American healthy, tall, strong, handsome. I also did some autograph thing, now I can not find. Three days later, the twin towers collapsed, and we wrote some e-mails about. I had discovered by reading Wonder Boys because I had really enjoyed the movie with Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr. and Tobey Maguire. The book was well written, funny, profound features that I found even in Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay , who perhaps had just in Mantua.
I just finished instead become Men: a book of short stories in which Michael tells his son to the father (4 times) and husband (2 times), opening the box of memories and her heart with the utmost sincerity. And 'here that I found myself thinking whether it is right or not estimated that a successful writer put in place much of themselves, especially certain aspects of their lives - use of soft drugs, for example - do not agree. Not so much because "you should not do" or "should not have to prove certain experiences, but because I put myself in the shoes of a happy player - or the father a reader young - that the flowing lines of his stories, he meets more often the subject of soft drugs, consumed - in fact - lightly. It does not seem to have read a mea culpa due to maturity, rather: Chabon seems to understand that they do still use (and its sacrosanct freedom to do what he wants, while respecting the freedom of others, of course, but Chabon in my opinion - along with many others - should reflect on the fact that, being beautiful, famous, happy and successful - all deserved, frankly - is held up by many as an 'example').
said this - and who knows who cares moralizing of these lines, but there you are: I downloaded the consciousness - the book is beautiful. There are important steps, deep, others a little 'less interesting perhaps because of its remoteness from my experiences. Chabon talks about the passing of time, being become a man. He remembers his first wife, mistakes, moments of ordinary and extraordinary intensity of his large family in 6 places. But the best thing to do is read it to understand what his life is shared by many, thus establishing a fraternity - rather than a camaraderie - which helps to better understand oneself. course, is not a book for men only, despite the title, because even women can read and enjoy it - I read too many songs my wife - to get closer to our universe. After Philip Roth and Jonathan Franzen - to name a few - continue, as part of American literature , the phase of introspection, the 'first person singular': a time when it seems that the authors they wanted to stop and look within, to take stock of himself. A recovery of memory, which is probably just a coincidence, the result of random readings encountered. But if the case does not exist?
some time I also feel, strongly, the need to be in 'first person ', and I hope it comes out something sooner or later.
0 comments:
Post a Comment